Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Safeway is a community.

Safeway is a community. I chose my place of work for this post because it feels like nearly all my time is spent there. Generally community is defined as a neighborhood. Whenever I walk into Safeway, whether I want to be there or not, its home. Just like in every neighborhood there is the busy body, the frugal person that is always “borrowing”, the person that loves everyone, the girl that flirts with all the guys and last but not least the ladies man. I have to admit that some people that work at Safeway don’t think of it as a community, its just a paycheck.

A community is a place of different people with different values and beliefs that spend time together. We at Safeway are connected in little ways, like the fact that we all had to join the union. The company would say that we share the values of superior customer service.

This isn’t a Utopia though, in this delightful group of individuals with different needs and wants there is strife. Apparently there is a thief among us, the food in the fridge has never been safe. There are also notes in the stall of the ladies restroom, “did you leave poo on the loo”. You can probably figure out the reason for that one without any explanation.

I fit in easily with this group, it doesn’t take much just do your job. I wouldn’t say that I chose to be a part of this community, had I been hired at any other company I would probably be writing about them right now. However I will say that, even though I don’t plan to work their forever, I am proud to be a part of Safeways community.

No comments:

Post a Comment